Flood alert for South Cumbria
Last updated at 10:07, Monday, 26 November 2012
MOTORISTS have been warned to watch out for surface water on the region's roads as torrential rain continues to fall in South Cumbria.
The plea from Barrow Fire and Rescue for drivers to be alert comes as forecasters predict persistent rainfall throughout much of the day.
While the Met Office expects the heaviest rain to fall during the morning, the wet weather band will continue well into the evening.
The Environment Agency released a flood alert just after this 8am this morning for the rivers Duddon, Crake and Mill Beck.
"Due to the overnight rainfall and saturated ground the rivers are starting to rise," the release said.
"With further rain forecast they will remain high and in some areas may continue to rise."
Meanwhile, firefighters were called out to a Millom residence in the early hours of this morning following a report of flooding.
Crews attended the Beckside Cottages property in Bootle about 4.20am and worked until 6.55am to pump out the water.
- Follow the Evening Mail's website throughout the day for more updates
First published at 08:18, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Police warning - Barrow road closed after traffic collision
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Barrow Raiders claw victory at Bears
- Barrow Raiders brush Bears aside
- Theo makes trip very worthwhile
- Wheelbase crew happy to hang in there with elite riders
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|