Firefighters praise Barrow's Bonfire Night revellers
Last updated at 09:42, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
BARROW’S fire service has praised the behaviour of most revellers despite being kept busy with a number of incidents on Bonfire Night.
Crews were called out to a steady stream of incidents between 5pm and 10pm, but the town emerged from the celebrations largely unscathed.
A Walney youth was lucky to escape more serious injury after he caught alight in a bonfire-related accident.
The 17-year-old was treated at the scene by paramedics for minor burns to his arm and did not require hospitalisation.
A fire crew was needed to put out a small bonfire in Andrews Way off Phoenix Road about 9.30pm after it was lit in a residential area, potentially posing a risk to people and properties.
Another fire engine was dispatched to Urswick Green just after 5pm following reports that it was getting out of control.
Firefighters also responded to at least two other minor rubbish fires during the evening.
First published at 18:12, Monday, 05 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
'Crews have also responded to two rubbish fires during the evening.'
My neighbours' response to my bonfire was that it was pretty rubbish, too
Make your comment
- Barrow police appeal after stolen car is dumped in park
- Update: Three men bailed after being arrested in connection with flipped BMW car crash
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow AFC to go full-time
- Haney set for Barrow Raiders return
- Askam fall to Blackbrook defeat: with picture gallery
- Millom keep up winning run
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC (2 comments)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers