Firefighters praise Barrow's Bonfire Night revellers
Last updated at 09:42, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
BARROW’S fire service has praised the behaviour of most revellers despite being kept busy with a number of incidents on Bonfire Night.
Crews were called out to a steady stream of incidents between 5pm and 10pm, but the town emerged from the celebrations largely unscathed.
A Walney youth was lucky to escape more serious injury after he caught alight in a bonfire-related accident.
The 17-year-old was treated at the scene by paramedics for minor burns to his arm and did not require hospitalisation.
A fire crew was needed to put out a small bonfire in Andrews Way off Phoenix Road about 9.30pm after it was lit in a residential area, potentially posing a risk to people and properties.
Another fire engine was dispatched to Urswick Green just after 5pm following reports that it was getting out of control.
Firefighters also responded to at least two other minor rubbish fires during the evening.
First published at 18:12, Monday, 05 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
'Crews have also responded to two rubbish fires during the evening.'
My neighbours' response to my bonfire was that it was pretty rubbish, too
Make your comment
- Barrow Sister Act performers show why they’re second to nun
- Evening Mail readers highlight their most important policy areas in online poll
- Millom boy's rare illness progress
- Barrow mum will tackle 40-mile walk to remember her one-year-old
- All action from the Evening Mail’s poll vaults
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Legal high clampdown at Cumbria festival
- Child vandals hurl object at Barrow bus
- Police hunt male who threatened girl in Barrow
- Far-flung Cumbrians will post votes (1 comment)
- Hero Declan does the trick for Cents
- Rhiann earns GB call-up as Duddon paddlers shine
- Barrow social club pockets snooker tables from mystery man
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Vickerstown reserves complete cup double: with picture gallery
- Dalton beat the rain and Carlisle
- Health Matters
- How to help your teen in testing times
- First Aid
- Skeletons of a failed campaign
- Toasting special day with gunfire
- Voters tempted by lure of gold coins
- Bank holiday no excuse not to vote
- How to keep happy and hopeful at 90
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gill Frankland and Gavin Bartlett-Hurlstone