Firefighters praise Barrow's Bonfire Night revellers
Last updated at 09:42, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
BARROW’S fire service has praised the behaviour of most revellers despite being kept busy with a number of incidents on Bonfire Night.
Crews were called out to a steady stream of incidents between 5pm and 10pm, but the town emerged from the celebrations largely unscathed.
A Walney youth was lucky to escape more serious injury after he caught alight in a bonfire-related accident.
The 17-year-old was treated at the scene by paramedics for minor burns to his arm and did not require hospitalisation.
A fire crew was needed to put out a small bonfire in Andrews Way off Phoenix Road about 9.30pm after it was lit in a residential area, potentially posing a risk to people and properties.
Another fire engine was dispatched to Urswick Green just after 5pm following reports that it was getting out of control.
Firefighters also responded to at least two other minor rubbish fires during the evening.
First published at 18:12, Monday, 05 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
'Crews have also responded to two rubbish fires during the evening.'
My neighbours' response to my bonfire was that it was pretty rubbish, too
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course