Firefighters praise Barrow's Bonfire Night revellers
Last updated at 09:42, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
BARROW’S fire service has praised the behaviour of most revellers despite being kept busy with a number of incidents on Bonfire Night.
Crews were called out to a steady stream of incidents between 5pm and 10pm, but the town emerged from the celebrations largely unscathed.
A Walney youth was lucky to escape more serious injury after he caught alight in a bonfire-related accident.
The 17-year-old was treated at the scene by paramedics for minor burns to his arm and did not require hospitalisation.
A fire crew was needed to put out a small bonfire in Andrews Way off Phoenix Road about 9.30pm after it was lit in a residential area, potentially posing a risk to people and properties.
Another fire engine was dispatched to Urswick Green just after 5pm following reports that it was getting out of control.
Firefighters also responded to at least two other minor rubbish fires during the evening.
First published at 18:12, Monday, 05 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
'Crews have also responded to two rubbish fires during the evening.'
My neighbours' response to my bonfire was that it was pretty rubbish, too
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid