Firefighters called to Barrow blazes
Last updated at 10:54, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
BONFIRE Night is over for another year but the calls to the Barrow Fire Station have continued to come in thick and fast.
Two fire crews were dispatched to Broughton Road in Dalton just after 8pm on Tuesday after an unattended pan triggered a smoke alarm.
Upon arrival firefighters could see smoke billowing from the letter box in the door and forced their way into the premises.
The pan was removed from the stove and a search of the flat confirmed nobody was home at the time of the incident.
The male occupant, who had accidentally left the stove on before leaving for work, was called back by police to secure the premises.
A spokesman for the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service urged residents to check their stoves are off prior to leaving the house.
Earlier in the evening at 6.15pm, a Barrow team was called to Topps Tiles in Walney Road following reports that a wheelie bin was alight.
The fire, which is believed to have been maliciously lit, was quickly extinguished and did not pose a threat to the business.
Another crew attended Urswick Green after a bonfire from last night’s Guy Fawkes Night celebrations was deliberately reignited.
The bonfire, which had caused concerns on Monday when it threatened to get out of control, was put out by a single hose jet.
At 8pm a fire engine was called out to Ramsden Street in Barrow to extinguish a small rubbish fire reported to the station.
First published at 22:51, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|