Walney Family Fun Run newsletter
Published at 13:33, Wednesday, 30 May 2012
By Jo Davies
THIS year’s event is on Sunday June 17 and you need to be registered before Wednesday June 6 by completing a registration form or by June 10 if registering on the Evening Mail website www.nwemail.co.uk
lThis week’s sessions will be 14 minutes jogging with one minute walking.
lJust a few stats to bore you with. Up to last May 21, 113 different people have attended the training sessions with a total of 582 attendances between them!
lTop of the attendance list is Bob Nixon with 15 out of a possible 17 sessions.
Bob is closely followed by Debbie Abnett, Val Fleming and Adrian Hobson on 14.
lNow is a good time to think about what we are going to do after June 17. We have built up a great rapport at these sessions and hopefully we have all made some new friends and enjoyed the experience as well as getting a bit fitter. It will be a shame for this to die off after the big day so it has been proposed that, after the fun run, we carry on with the sessions on both Mondays and Wednesdays.
We will keep the sessions to a maximum of 60 minutes which will include the five-minute warm-up walk, jog, cool down and stretching.
This way we can hopefully encourage some new starters to join us and we can go back to shorter runs with longer walks. So spread the word among your family, friends and colleagues and get them along on Monday June 18.
lFor those of you who feel like running a bit further please feel free to join us for a 10am start on Sunday mornings or a 6pm start on Tuesday evenings at Roose Cons Club. We will be out for approximately 60 to 90 minutes and you can walk/run/jog as you wish. We operate in the same way as we do on Mondays and Wednesdays with the front runners looping back every few minutes so that we all stay together. You can go at your own pace and there is no pressure whatsoever.
Alternatively ask the leaders if you want more info about Saturday 5km Barrow Parkruns (see column opposite).
lIt has also been suggested that we meet up for a social gathering sometime before June 17, possibly on Thursday June 14. It will be nice to have a drink and a chat and discuss all the good, bad and funny things from the previous 12 weeks. One idea is to go to The Ferry for a carvery.
We will discuss in more detail soon.
lNext week is another bank holiday Monday but we will still be here as usual.
lDon’t forget the Facebook page. Search for “Walney Wind Cheetahs” click “request to join” and you can keep up to date with all the news, post any information or ask any questions you may want answering.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Field crammed with 4,000 for country fun
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Salford Quays
- FOOD REVIEW: Francescas, Barrow
- From high-tech to bye-bye tech
- Area looking to fresh horizons
- Slave trade opens new talk season
- Digging for the story of island’s wartime role
- Listen to an island story
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Body’s ability to repair itself falls
- Problem ‘just as life-threatening as obesity and poverty’
- Old adage worth remembering
- Iron riches prompted cross-country route
- Moving ceremony to heal divisions
- Belt badges took two wars to find
- Long tradition of volunteers
- Back to fight for King and country
- Don’t surround jewel in crown with housing
- Being part of union works
- When the fairground rides arrived in Barrow
- Inflationary times when a brew was 5p
- Reminder from era of RAF base
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|