Walney family fun run is family affair
Last updated at 14:45, Wednesday, 11 April 2012
THE Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run returns this June, with a new 10.2k challenge to add to the 5.1k run. Free weekly sessions will take you from couch to fun runner in just 12 weeks, reports JO DAVIES
THE Walney Family Fun Run is a great way to get active with your kids.
The bi-weekly training sessions along Biggar Bank Road, Walney, will help to build strong muscles and healthy bones and running as part of a mixed group can improve self-confidence.
A number of children, from ages six upwards, attend the Walney training sessions and approach the runs with energy and enthusiasm.
Most importantly, they’re great fun.
Debra Carter and her daughter Megan, took part in the first Walney Family Fun Run last year.
This year, the whole family’s involved.
Not only that, but the Carters have discovered a whole new world of sport and enjoy keeping fit as a family.
Debra, of Holbeck Park Avenue, Barrow, said: “It was just me and Megan last time. I took Megan along for the both of us to do together.
“I had done some spinning but had never been able to run. Sonja (Foster, training leader) said ‘you will be able to do it after you’ve finished training’, and I said ‘never’.
“But we did, to be fair.”
Eight-year-old Megan said: “Mum asked me to go with her and I said yes. I found it a bit hard at first. Then we built it up. When it was 12 minutes of running, it was really hard because I wanted to stop. I do 5k runs now in 30 minutes.”
Debra and Megan continued running together after the training sessions finished by joining the weekly 5k Barrow Parkrun. Megan even became the first recipient of the white 10 club T-shirt, rewarded to junior runners who have completed 10 runs. Megan’s siblings, her twin sister Emily, seven-year-old Sam and six-year-old Tilly are all working towards their 10 club T-shirts now.
Dad Mark Carter, a keen runner and former army physical training instructor, said: “The Walney Fun Run led on to Barrow Parkrun which has led on to athletics and now they’re representing Barrow Striders at Penrith on April 21.”
Debra added: “It’s opened up a whole new set of opportunities that weren’t there before. This all started with the fun run and now we’re trying to fit it all in. And the only competitive one we’ve got is Tilly.”
Make exercise fun for all the family by attending the bi-weekly training sessions every Monday and Wednesday, at 6pm, from Sandy Gap.
It costs £10 to enter the Energy For Life Walney Family Fun Run on June 17 as a family of four.
It’s free for children to enter the event, as long as they’re accompanied by an adult. Visit www.sientries.co.uk for more information.
First published at 13:14, Wednesday, 11 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Inflationary times when a brew was 5p
- Reminder from era of RAF base
- Miniature world of railway history comes to county
- Having holiday fun at new horse event
- Mapping the bay’s features
- Rail took iron and visitors
- Emma Corbett and Mark O’Donnell
- Email influx sparks dread
- FOOD REVIEW: Farmers Arms, Lowick
- Woodland products for the textile mills
- I want to hear points of view
- Billy Ocean performing in Barrow
- A town pioneer for adventurous girls
- Turning farm lads into Lord’s new soldiers
- Learn about occupations’ vision rules
- Meters will put off town visitors
- ‘When I get in the boat it’s just so peaceful’
- Oarsome opportunity to try hand at rowing
- How to get started
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Rose growers battle to take the top prize
- Answering call of mobile mania
- Daily dangers faced by merchant sailors
Visit our websites for...
- Google Street View car spotted in Barrow (12 comments)
- Date revealed for opening of new Barrow store (5 comments)
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital begins anti-bullying scheme (4 comments)
- Controversial new Barrow homes application submitted to council (42 comments)
- COOK double earns Barrow AFC share of the spoils
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|