Taste of the Renaissance
Last updated at 13:15, Thursday, 26 April 2012
THE Levens Choir returns to the live circuit this weekend with a mixture of Renaissance and 21st century music.
The concert in St George’s Church, Kendal, at 7.30pm on Tuesday works through the period of Christ’s Passion from Palm Sunday to the Resurrection; the first half is devoted to unaccompanied music of the 16th and 17th centuries from composers such as Weelkes, Lassus, Victoria, Gesualdo, Monteverdi and others, giving a glimpse of the flowering of the Renaissance in England, Italy and Spain.
After the interval, the choir returns to a work it commissioned in 2000 from Adrian Self to mark its silver jubilee. The work, depicting Christ’s victory over death, draws its texts from the liturgy, the psalms and from the poetry of George Herbert and William Dunbar, the 15th century Scottish poet.
Tickets are available in advance by calling Gill Smith on 01539 730590, or on the door. Entry for children and students is free.
First published at 13:19, Wednesday, 25 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Our links to campaigns of the past
- Giant pond left by the race to exploit our iron riches
- Reminder of town’s first day at Wembley
- Field crammed with 4,000 for country fun
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Salford Quays
- WEDDING ALBUM: Cassie Slattery and Adam Burrow
- FOOD REVIEW: Francescas, Barrow
- From high-tech to bye-bye tech
- Area looking to fresh horizons
- Slave trade opens new talk season
- Digging for the story of island’s wartime role
- Listen to an island story
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Body’s ability to repair itself falls
- Problem ‘just as life-threatening as obesity and poverty’ (1 comment)
- Old adage worth remembering
- Iron riches prompted cross-country route
- Moving ceremony to heal divisions
- Belt badges took two wars to find
- Long tradition of volunteers
- Back to fight for King and country
- Don’t surround jewel in crown with housing
Visit our websites for...
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|