Royal theme in annual competition
Last updated at 14:27, Friday, 25 May 2012
CORGIS and crowns are blooming among the border displays of plants and flowers in gardens across Kirkby.
Green-fingered homeowners have given the annual garden observation competition a regal theme this year.
Organiser Gail Burns, the village’s lollypop lady, explained: “We’ve asked people to put something ridiculously silly in their garden.
“We’ve been running this about eight years now but this year we’re trying to do it with a royal flavour.”
This year 106 houses and premises in the village are participating, and it’s not restricted just to gardens.
Gail hinted: “Both pubs and shop and post office have something in their windows that doesn’t belong there.”
The competition closes on June 2 with a first prize of £15, second prize of £10 and two runners up prizes of £5.
Entry forms are available from Moorland Stores for 50p.
The only rule is, all objects must be visible from the road or pavement.
First published at 13:52, Friday, 25 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Field crammed with 4,000 for country fun
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Salford Quays
- FOOD REVIEW: Francescas, Barrow
- From high-tech to bye-bye tech
- Area looking to fresh horizons
- Slave trade opens new talk season
- Digging for the story of island’s wartime role
- Listen to an island story
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Body’s ability to repair itself falls
- Problem ‘just as life-threatening as obesity and poverty’
- Old adage worth remembering
- Iron riches prompted cross-country route
- Moving ceremony to heal divisions
- Belt badges took two wars to find
- Long tradition of volunteers
- Back to fight for King and country
- Don’t surround jewel in crown with housing
- Being part of union works
- When the fairground rides arrived in Barrow
- Inflationary times when a brew was 5p
- Reminder from era of RAF base
Visit our websites for...
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|