Royal theme in annual competition
Last updated at 14:27, Friday, 25 May 2012
CORGIS and crowns are blooming among the border displays of plants and flowers in gardens across Kirkby.
Green-fingered homeowners have given the annual garden observation competition a regal theme this year.
Organiser Gail Burns, the village’s lollypop lady, explained: “We’ve asked people to put something ridiculously silly in their garden.
“We’ve been running this about eight years now but this year we’re trying to do it with a royal flavour.”
This year 106 houses and premises in the village are participating, and it’s not restricted just to gardens.
Gail hinted: “Both pubs and shop and post office have something in their windows that doesn’t belong there.”
The competition closes on June 2 with a first prize of £15, second prize of £10 and two runners up prizes of £5.
Entry forms are available from Moorland Stores for 50p.
The only rule is, all objects must be visible from the road or pavement.
First published at 13:52, Friday, 25 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Inflationary times when a brew was 5p
- Reminder from era of RAF base
- Miniature world of railway history comes to county
- Having holiday fun at new horse event
- Mapping the bay’s features
- Rail took iron and visitors
- Emma Corbett and Mark O’Donnell
- Email influx sparks dread
- FOOD REVIEW: Farmers Arms, Lowick
- Woodland products for the textile mills
- I want to hear points of view
- Billy Ocean performing in Barrow
- A town pioneer for adventurous girls
- Turning farm lads into Lord’s new soldiers
- Learn about occupations’ vision rules
- Meters will put off town visitors
- ‘When I get in the boat it’s just so peaceful’
- Oarsome opportunity to try hand at rowing
- How to get started
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Rose growers battle to take the top prize
- Answering call of mobile mania
- Daily dangers faced by merchant sailors
Visit our websites for...
- Google Street View car spotted in Barrow (12 comments)
- Date revealed for opening of new Barrow store (5 comments)
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital begins anti-bullying scheme (4 comments)
- Controversial new Barrow homes application submitted to council (42 comments)
- COOK double earns Barrow AFC share of the spoils
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|