Published at 13:45, Friday, 04 May 2012
THE county’s four archive centres – in Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven – will be showcasing an individual archive or a small selection from a collection for the first week of every month to mark the service’s 50th anniversary.
From Tuesday (8) to Friday (11) the following collections will be under the spotlight:
Barrow archive centre
The Barrow Blitz:
Part of Barrow Borough Council’s surveyors' collection. It includes a map of the town which highlights the damage caused during the blitz (14 to16 April, and 3 to 10 May 1941). The main targets for the Luftwaffe were the shipyard and the steel works. The accuracy of the raids was very limited and many residential areas throughout the town were hit. During the Barrow blitz 83 people died and 330 were injured with about 100 houses destroyed outright and a further 500 demolished later.
Westmorland Home Guard
An original film coupled with unique documents showing the local Home Guard. On display will be photographs, watercolour cartoons by Colonel Morton of Keswick Home Guard and much more. Of particular interest will be film footage of Kendal Home Guard during town fighting, night patrol and camouflage training exercises, all filmed in the local area.
Archive centre opening hours
Barrow’s archive centre is on 140 Duke Street, LA14 1XW, and is open for the following hours:
Tuesday to Friday: 9.30am to 1pm, and 2pm to 5pm.
First Saturday in the month: 10am to 1pm, and 2pm to 4pm.
Kendal’s archive centre is at Kendal County Offices, on Busher Walk, LA9 4RQ, and is open:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
For more information visit: www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/default.asp
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|