Published at 13:45, Friday, 04 May 2012
THE county’s four archive centres – in Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven – will be showcasing an individual archive or a small selection from a collection for the first week of every month to mark the service’s 50th anniversary.
From Tuesday (8) to Friday (11) the following collections will be under the spotlight:
Barrow archive centre
The Barrow Blitz:
Part of Barrow Borough Council’s surveyors' collection. It includes a map of the town which highlights the damage caused during the blitz (14 to16 April, and 3 to 10 May 1941). The main targets for the Luftwaffe were the shipyard and the steel works. The accuracy of the raids was very limited and many residential areas throughout the town were hit. During the Barrow blitz 83 people died and 330 were injured with about 100 houses destroyed outright and a further 500 demolished later.
Westmorland Home Guard
An original film coupled with unique documents showing the local Home Guard. On display will be photographs, watercolour cartoons by Colonel Morton of Keswick Home Guard and much more. Of particular interest will be film footage of Kendal Home Guard during town fighting, night patrol and camouflage training exercises, all filmed in the local area.
Archive centre opening hours
Barrow’s archive centre is on 140 Duke Street, LA14 1XW, and is open for the following hours:
Tuesday to Friday: 9.30am to 1pm, and 2pm to 5pm.
First Saturday in the month: 10am to 1pm, and 2pm to 4pm.
Kendal’s archive centre is at Kendal County Offices, on Busher Walk, LA9 4RQ, and is open:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
For more information visit: www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/default.asp
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Updated: Man's body found on Barrow beach
- Rescuers come to the aid of injured woman in Lake District
- Mountain rescue team attend to fell walker with head injury in Lakes
- Bottles of spirits stolen from Ulverston Food Festival stall
- UPDATE: Missing wild camper in Cumbria found safe and well
- Dog found on Cumbria mountain returns home
- Man, 66, dies after Cumbria crash
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- Capital result and good time for bonding
- Max Wiper desperate for Barrow Raiders return
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|