Published at 13:45, Friday, 04 May 2012
THE county’s four archive centres – in Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven – will be showcasing an individual archive or a small selection from a collection for the first week of every month to mark the service’s 50th anniversary.
From Tuesday (8) to Friday (11) the following collections will be under the spotlight:
Barrow archive centre
The Barrow Blitz:
Part of Barrow Borough Council’s surveyors' collection. It includes a map of the town which highlights the damage caused during the blitz (14 to16 April, and 3 to 10 May 1941). The main targets for the Luftwaffe were the shipyard and the steel works. The accuracy of the raids was very limited and many residential areas throughout the town were hit. During the Barrow blitz 83 people died and 330 were injured with about 100 houses destroyed outright and a further 500 demolished later.
Westmorland Home Guard
An original film coupled with unique documents showing the local Home Guard. On display will be photographs, watercolour cartoons by Colonel Morton of Keswick Home Guard and much more. Of particular interest will be film footage of Kendal Home Guard during town fighting, night patrol and camouflage training exercises, all filmed in the local area.
Archive centre opening hours
Barrow’s archive centre is on 140 Duke Street, LA14 1XW, and is open for the following hours:
Tuesday to Friday: 9.30am to 1pm, and 2pm to 5pm.
First Saturday in the month: 10am to 1pm, and 2pm to 4pm.
Kendal’s archive centre is at Kendal County Offices, on Busher Walk, LA9 4RQ, and is open:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
For more information visit: www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/default.asp
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together