Kissing keeps love awake
Last updated at 14:39, Friday, 25 May 2012
A SIMPLE kiss goodnight has helped to make Billy and Molly Holmes’ marriage long-lasting.
“Since getting married 60 years ago, I have always made sure to give Molly a kiss good night,” explains 86-year-old Billy.
Holding Molly’s hand while recalling how they first met, Billy said: “When I was a boy I lived on the next farm to Molly, at Stony Cragg in Ulverston.
“We would get a taxi to school together and play together in the fields.”
By the age of 20 the couple were dating and at 26 they got married at St John’s Church, Osmotherley in Ulverston.
“Our wedding was a small affair,” explains Billy.
“It wasn’t like one of those big ones that youngsters have nowadays. We only had around twenty guests between us.
“We did manage to make the front page of the local newspaper though as Molly’s maiden name was Holme, so she only had to change one letter of her surname when we got married.”
Spending most of their married life farming at Roosecote, the couple, went on to have two daughters. Both of our daughters teach and our three grandsons are all very successful, so we are very proud. We have had a lovely life together.”
The couple celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on 16 April.
First published at 13:07, Friday, 25 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Builders gave leaky Dalton castle a longer life
- Apprenticeships are huge benefit
- Bright ideas to prepare for day
- K2B veteran Dave sticks to tough training regime
- Park run
- Sky ride
- Eye Health
- First Aid
- Ancient therapy treats host of problems
- Don’t wait to write your will
- Putting faces to past presidents of Rotary
- Miners move to a new life
- Museum loses out on bid for war watch
- Opening a window on salesman’s world
- Fourpence a pound to pick wild rose hips
- Roundabout proof of pestering power
- The Tenors come to Barrow (1 comment)
- Positive thinking really does work
- Offering services within our means
- Rebecca McKeown and Ashley Bagshaw
- Very well hidden talents revealed
- Not keen to go after 51 years of graft
- First to carry nuclear missiles
- Not About Heroes is heading to Keswick
- Lakeland link to rare table
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (8 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (7 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (5 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|