Kissing keeps love awake
Last updated at 14:39, Friday, 25 May 2012
A SIMPLE kiss goodnight has helped to make Billy and Molly Holmes’ marriage long-lasting.
“Since getting married 60 years ago, I have always made sure to give Molly a kiss good night,” explains 86-year-old Billy.
Holding Molly’s hand while recalling how they first met, Billy said: “When I was a boy I lived on the next farm to Molly, at Stony Cragg in Ulverston.
“We would get a taxi to school together and play together in the fields.”
By the age of 20 the couple were dating and at 26 they got married at St John’s Church, Osmotherley in Ulverston.
“Our wedding was a small affair,” explains Billy.
“It wasn’t like one of those big ones that youngsters have nowadays. We only had around twenty guests between us.
“We did manage to make the front page of the local newspaper though as Molly’s maiden name was Holme, so she only had to change one letter of her surname when we got married.”
Spending most of their married life farming at Roosecote, the couple, went on to have two daughters. Both of our daughters teach and our three grandsons are all very successful, so we are very proud. We have had a lovely life together.”
The couple celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on 16 April.
First published at 13:07, Friday, 25 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|