Falkirk Wheel facts...and how to book trip
Published at 13:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
THE Falkirk Wheel is the world’s first rotating boat lift and the first boat lift to be built in Britain since the Anderton Boat Lift, built in Cheshire in 1875.
It is 115ft high – the equivalent of eight double-decker buses.
The wheel is capable of lifting loads of 600 tonnes.
It cost £17m and took 22 months to build on the site of a disused deep open cast mine pit. The wheel is the central feature for the Falkirk canal basin which links canals to Edinburgh and towards Glasgow and, lit up at night, is a visitor attraction in its own right.
HOW TO BOOK YOUR CANAL HOLIDAY
We were guests of Black Prince Narrowboat Holidays, who operate canal holidays throughout the UK.For prices and to book your canal holiday office opening hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm, Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 10am-4pm, tel 01527 575115, web www.black-prince.com, or email email@example.com.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- UPDATE: Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Reforms could cause hardship over Christmas in Cumbria
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|