Chess the ticket
Published at 13:24, Thursday, 10 May 2012
BARROW Operatic and Dramatic Society’s production of Chess hits the stage at The Forum next week.
The musical, written by Benny and Björn from 70s supergroup ABBA, is based on the 1984 concept album by the Swedish duo and features lyrics by theatre doyen Tim Rice.
The story of a romantic triangle between two top chess players and the woman torn between them, is set during the Cold War with the United States and the Soviet Union’s propaganda machines aim to come out on top with their own world chess champion. It mirrors the battle between the two countries ideologies.
Songs including I Know Him So Well, Anthem, Pity The Child and One Night In Bangkok take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout this spectacular show.
Barrow Operatic and Dramatic Society’s version is directed by Steve Carrick, musical director is Paul Blake, and choreography is by Sally McKimm.
The show runs at The Forum in Barrow from Tuesday May 15 to Friday 18 at 7.30pm, with a teatime performance at 6pm on Saturday 19. Tickets are available from the box office.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Field crammed with 4,000 for country fun
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Salford Quays
- FOOD REVIEW: Francescas, Barrow
- From high-tech to bye-bye tech
- Area looking to fresh horizons
- Slave trade opens new talk season
- Digging for the story of island’s wartime role
- Listen to an island story
- First Aid
- Sky ride
- Body’s ability to repair itself falls
- Problem ‘just as life-threatening as obesity and poverty’ (1 comment)
- Old adage worth remembering
- Iron riches prompted cross-country route
- Moving ceremony to heal divisions
- Belt badges took two wars to find
- Long tradition of volunteers
- Back to fight for King and country
- Don’t surround jewel in crown with housing
- Being part of union works
- When the fairground rides arrived in Barrow
- Inflationary times when a brew was 5p
- Reminder from era of RAF base
Visit our websites for...
- Vickerstown FC pay tribute to 'Fozzy' and 'Jonno' (1 comment)
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (16 comments)
- Independent chairwoman to oversee improvements at Barrow hospital trust
- UPDATE: Warning to Cumbria motorists travelling south - tailbacks on M6 (2 comments)
- Slices of Barrow social history go under hammer at auction (2 comments)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|