Barrow Parkrun: Event 35
Published at 13:22, Wednesday, 30 May 2012
Barrow Parkrun, Event 35, May 26
SATURDAY’S Barrow Parkrun turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year so far, even as early as 9am.
As 49 runners pounded around the challenging course, lots of people commented that conditions were “too hot”, not something you regularly hear in Barrow.
Among the 49 runners were eight first timers and one parkrun tourist.
We hope you enjoyed our course and hope to see you again soon.
The weather seemed to take its toll as there were only eight personal bests, so a massive congratulations to them.
This week’s personal best times were achieved by:
Emma Thompson, Adrian Hobson, Vicky Harrison, Fern Johnson, Jenny Yates, Karen Thwaites and Donna Louise Johnson.
Barrow Parkrun is a free, timed 5k run which started on September 24 2011, and since then 321 different runners, including participants from 37 athletics clubs, have completed 1,288 runs covering a total distance of 6,440 km, and there have been 351 new personal bests.
Securing a win on his first appearance was Ben Procter, of Helm Hill Runners, 18:42. In second was Danny Bouffler (unattached) in 19:18 and Dave Parker, of Barrow & Furness Striders AC, was third in 19:42.
In the women’s placing Kathleen Crisp (unattached) came first – her 11th win in 19 appearances – with a time of 20:43.
Suz West (unattached) was second in 23:24 and Karen Ann Maggio-Poyntz (unattached) came third in 23:29.
STANDINGS IN THE ANNUAL POINTS COMPETITION
David Harker (unattached) – 2,342 points.
Dave Parker (Barrow & Furness Striders AC) – 2,112 points.
Michael Cook (unattached) – 1,966 points.
Fiona Wilson (unattached) – 2,658 points.
Donna Kay Speirs (unattached) – 2,389 points.
Jacqui Armstrong (unattached) – 2,251 points.
Barrow Parkrun is open to all ages, genders and even certain pets, and is one of the fastest growing events in the UK.
You don’t have to run to be involved. If you would like to volunteer email Barrow Helpers@parkrun.com, with the date and role you would like.
If you would like to run, jog or walk next Saturday please remember to register at http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/barcode and arrive at the bandstand at 8.45am for the pre run briefing.
After the run we meet for a drink at the park cafe, everyone is welcome to come along and have a drink and chat. See you next Saturday
MIKE & LOUISE COOK
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|