Barrow Parkrun, Event 32, May 5
Last updated at 15:53, Friday, 11 May 2012
IAN Jones, acting as run director, gave a sunny bank holiday welcome to the 43 runners, including 15 first timers and two tourists, and gave a special mention of the group training sessions for the Walney 5.1k fun run in June.
WE hope you enjoyed the challenge and look forward to seeing you all again.
Well done to Sarah Grisdale on winning the monthly set of running trainers from our park sponsors.
A big thank you to all the volunteers for Saturday’s event, which couldn’t happen without you, and a massive thank you to the supporters for clapping and encouraging everybody around the undulating course.
This week’s personal best times were achieved by Karen Ann Maggio-Poyntz; Paul Anthony Holmes; Josh Smith; Kelly Bowness; Joe Dennett; Donna Kay Speirs; Fiona Gilmour and Molly Mather.
First man home on Saturday was Stephen Makin (SM30-34) of Wigan Phoenix, in 16:47. In second was Dominic Howell (SM35-39) of Clayton-le-Moors Harriers, in 17:56, and third was Greg Hull (VM45-49) of Leeds City AC, in 18:09.
Karen Ann Maggio-Poyntz (VW40-44) (unattached) came first (11th overall) in 22:53, her second win in 18 appearances; Sarah Grisdale (SW30-34) (unattached) was second (12th overall) in 23:51 and Melissa Smith (VW35-39) (unattached) came third (20th overall) in 28:50.
STANDING IN THE MEN'S ANNUAL POINTS COMPETITION:
David Harker (unattached) – 2,047 points.
Dave Parker (Barrow & Furness Striders AC) – 1,921 points.
Michael Cook (unattached) - 1,799 points.
STANDING IN THE WOMEN'S ANNUAL POINTS COMPETITION:
Fiona Wilson (unattached) – 2,483 points.
Donna Kay Speirs (unattached) – 2,301 points.
Jacqui Armstrong (unattached) – 1,995 points.
This week there were 43 runners, of whom 15 were first timers and eight recorded new personal bests. Representatives of six different athletics clubs took part.
Barrow Parkrun started on September 24 2011 and since then 297 different runners, including participants from 36 athletics clubs, have completed 1,148 runs covering a total distance of 5,740 km.
Barrow Parkrun is open to all ages genders, and even certain pets, and it’s one of the fastest growing events in the UK with Parkruns all over the country. All start at the same time every Saturday, at 9am.
Barrow Parkrun is run by volunteers. If you would like to volunteer, please email BarrowHelpers@parkrun.com, with the date and role you would like.
There are many different roles to be filled which are all easy to do, please help if you can.
If you would like to run, jog or walk next Saturday please remember to register at www.parkrun.org.uk/register/barcode and arrive at the bandstand at 8.45am for the pre run briefing.
After the run, we meet for a drink at the park cafe. Everyone is welcome to come along and have a drink and chat.
See you next Saturday,
First published at 13:26, Wednesday, 09 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Mickey’s magic casts its spell
- Fans of punk legends set for night of unbridled Joy
- Band makes song and dance of it
- Comic stars add to draw for festival
- Write way to walk county
- Seven-piece forging a strong reputation
- Award-winning group bring their fresh take on folk to Cumbria
- Event will help fund research
- Beware the frozen virus of doom!
- Charging into danger
- Fighting a war at sea
- Builders gave leaky Dalton castle a longer life
- Apprenticeships are huge benefit
- Bright ideas to prepare for day
- K2B veteran Dave sticks to tough training regime
- Park run
- Sky ride
- Eye Health
- First Aid
- Ancient therapy treats host of problems
- Don’t wait to write your will
- Putting faces to past presidents of Rotary
- Miners move to a new life
- Museum loses out on bid for war watch
- Opening a window on salesman’s world
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|