Earthquake off the coast of Walney
Last updated at 08:34, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
A SMALL earthquake was detected under the Irish Sea off the coast of Walney in the early hours of yesterday morning.
British Geological Survey (BGS) instruments picked up the 1.5 magnitude tremor about six kilometres underground at 2.18am on Tuesday.
BGS seismologist David Galloway said the quake was so small it was unlikely to have been felt by residents on shore.
"It's not going to cause any damage and we haven't had any reports of it being felt and we wouldn't expect any either," he said.
First published at 13:22, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Clearly this is not news... unless the EM is gearing for a campaign against fracking!
Make your comment
- WITH VIDEO: Facebook friends rally round to give Barrow dog life-saving surgery (1 comment)
- Cumbria GP surgeries in line for £7m cash windfall
- South Cumbria farmer’s shock after savaged lambs are found by daughters
- Barrow hospital chef appeared on TV with celebrity chef James Martin (2 comments)
- Barrow worker who hit colleague with hammer faces prison
- Head of pioneering Barrow school to leave his post
- Barrow pharmacist is first to prescribe drugs without the doctor
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Barrow batsman Liam targets Lancashire bow after setting world record
- Cook scoops Barrow AFC awards haul
- Hawcoat Sayle to last-day win
- De La Salle sink Furness on final day
- Crewe derail Walney Terriers
- Butler nears Barrow Raiders return
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title (1 comment)
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker