Earthquake off the coast of Walney
Last updated at 08:34, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
A SMALL earthquake was detected under the Irish Sea off the coast of Walney in the early hours of yesterday morning.
British Geological Survey (BGS) instruments picked up the 1.5 magnitude tremor about six kilometres underground at 2.18am on Tuesday.
BGS seismologist David Galloway said the quake was so small it was unlikely to have been felt by residents on shore.
"It's not going to cause any damage and we haven't had any reports of it being felt and we wouldn't expect any either," he said.
First published at 13:22, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Clearly this is not news... unless the EM is gearing for a campaign against fracking!
Make your comment
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- Family fun at Walney Gala
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks
- Cumbria Police release CCTV images in connection with theft
- Ulverston Carnival considered "best in years"
- Sun comes out for South Cumbria wedding winners
- Barrow hospital prepared for inspectors after working hard to improve
- Walney pupils have their say on vision for £50k play park (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business today
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds