Earthquake off the coast of Walney
Last updated at 08:34, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
A SMALL earthquake was detected under the Irish Sea off the coast of Walney in the early hours of yesterday morning.
British Geological Survey (BGS) instruments picked up the 1.5 magnitude tremor about six kilometres underground at 2.18am on Tuesday.
BGS seismologist David Galloway said the quake was so small it was unlikely to have been felt by residents on shore.
"It's not going to cause any damage and we haven't had any reports of it being felt and we wouldn't expect any either," he said.
First published at 13:22, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Clearly this is not news... unless the EM is gearing for a campaign against fracking!
Make your comment
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- Witnesses sought after Millom tyre slashing incident
- Charity collection box stolen from South Cumbria garden centre
- Call for legal high crackdown after teens taken ill
- Cumbria fire cuts ‘have decimated service’
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Furness Enterprise legacy to live on after Barrow council steps in
- New Barrow jetty is ‘too short’ to use at low tide, claims ferryman
- Labour group in snub to first elected Copeland mayor
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Furness Rovers delight in final triumph: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner (1 comment)
- Take a bus trip back to the past