Disruptions to Cumbria train services continue
Last updated at 16:45, Thursday, 24 January 2013
LAKE District rail services are expected to be disrupted well into tomorrow as the clean up following a train derailment in Manchester yesterday continues.
First TransPennine Express services for Windermere, Oxenholme and Carlisle will still be starting and finishing at Preston until further notice.
A spokesman for the company said there was no chance of the line re-opening tonight and only a slim chance of normal service resuming tomorrow morning.
Firtst TransPennine Express managing director Nick Donovan said: "We appreciate that the derailment of this charter train has caused significant disruption to customers across the north-west of England.
"We are working in partnership with Network Rail to restore a normal service as quickly as possible.
"In addition, we have deployed management personnel to affected stations and we are continually working to provide fast and accurate travel information.
"We have also arranged for ticket restrictions to be lifted, which we hope will provide customers with a greater choice of whether to travel or not.
"Along with other operators and Network Rail we are doing everything we can to minimise the disruption.
"I would advise customers to allow extra time to complete their journey, ask for assistance from our representatives at stations and plan their journey via www.nationalrail.co.uk."
The chaos was sparked when a charter train derailed in Manchester's city centre yesterday and caught fire.
First published at 12:23, Thursday, 24 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together