Dalton drug smuggler jailed
Last updated at 08:47, Wednesday, 09 January 2013
A DALTON woman has been sentenced to four years' jail at Canterbury Crown Court after pleading guilty to heroin smuggling.
Border Force officers stopped and questioned Naomi Thriepland, of Ann Street, on December 5, 2011 at the Channel Tunnel entrance at Coquelles, France.
She said she had been in France to spend a few days at Disneyland Paris.
But officers searched the Mercedes car she was driving and found approximately 3.4 kilograms of heroin in the hood compartment of the vehicle’s boot.
The drugs had an estimated street value of up to £172,000.
Malcolm Bragg, from Border Force said: “Drug trafficking is a serious offence and those convicted will face prison sentences. Our message to those who would consider it is that it’s just not worth it.
“Border Force officers will continue to work diligently to keep our border secure and to make life as tough as possible for those who seek to profit from this evil trade.”
Thriepland was bailed while investigations by Border Force officers based at Dover were carried out.
On Monday, the 25-year-old was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to the charge during an appearance at Canterbury Crown Court on October 22.
- Full story in tonight's Evening Mail
First published at 10:04, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|