Dalton drug smuggler jailed
Last updated at 08:47, Wednesday, 09 January 2013
A DALTON woman has been sentenced to four years' jail at Canterbury Crown Court after pleading guilty to heroin smuggling.
Border Force officers stopped and questioned Naomi Thriepland, of Ann Street, on December 5, 2011 at the Channel Tunnel entrance at Coquelles, France.
She said she had been in France to spend a few days at Disneyland Paris.
But officers searched the Mercedes car she was driving and found approximately 3.4 kilograms of heroin in the hood compartment of the vehicle’s boot.
The drugs had an estimated street value of up to £172,000.
Malcolm Bragg, from Border Force said: “Drug trafficking is a serious offence and those convicted will face prison sentences. Our message to those who would consider it is that it’s just not worth it.
“Border Force officers will continue to work diligently to keep our border secure and to make life as tough as possible for those who seek to profit from this evil trade.”
Thriepland was bailed while investigations by Border Force officers based at Dover were carried out.
On Monday, the 25-year-old was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to the charge during an appearance at Canterbury Crown Court on October 22.
- Full story in tonight's Evening Mail
First published at 10:04, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Holiday park near Grange unveils its latest phase of £5m plan
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|