Controversial new Barrow homes application submitted to council
Last updated at 16:46, Tuesday, 19 August 2014
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build a new housing estate on unspoiled green land in Barrow have now been submitted to planning chiefs.
Cumbrian developer Story Homes first revealed plans to build up to 50 new homes off Rating Lane, near Barrow Sixth Form College, earlier this year.
The scheme was met with significant opposition and an online petition calling on people to support a campaign against the plans.
Story Homes has now formally submitted an application to Barrow Borough Council.
It is proposing up to 38 new homes.
Story Homes said it is confident the layout will alleviate any fears raised by the public about negative impact on the nearby Furness Abbey.
Following public consultation and ongoing engagement with English Heritage and the local authority, Story Homes said it had put forward a "considerate design which leaves ample open space on the land, taking cues from nearby farmsteads".
A statement from the firm added: "The development will go some way towards helping the borough to meets its identified housing needs for the future.
"Building work would also secure and create much needed employment locally both directly through Story Homes and indirectly through sub contractors and local supply chains.
"The knock on effect would support local businesses and Story Homes would make a contribution towards the provision, improvement and enhancement of children’s play space in the town."
David Hayward, development planner for Story Homes said: “Throughout the consultation, it was evident that the town requires housing but every party involved wanted to make sure that the design did not conflict in any way with the historic setting.
"By engaging closely with Barrow Borough Council’s Urban Designers, and liaising with English Heritage, we feel that we have been able to come up with a design which will complement the local area and leave ample public open space and a large clear section between any development and the boundary of the Abbey itself.”
The application has now been submitted and a decision from the local planning committee is expected towards the end of 2014.
First published at 14:43, Tuesday, 19 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The developers must be shaking in their boots at the photo of the protesters. I mean, one of them has their arms folded, obviously mean business!! Embarrassing. It will happen, they will be built. And so they should be if it's all legal and above board. It clearly is so accept it. And go back to your lashes of ginger beer.
Can't wait: take a look at the plans on the portal and read how they plan to deal with drainage. They want to drain the whole of their site into the beck which happens to be the very beck that floods the abbey and poses a significant risk to its foundations. If potentially exposing the abbey to collapse does not constitute a risk then I don't know what does. This is just one issue. Also, if you're using the term 'slums of Barrow' then no one is going to take your views seriously. Forgive me if I'm more inclined to support the views of a lady who is trying her absolute best to unite people and save a gem that this town should be fiercely protecting than someone who believes they are a cut above other people in town just because they have money.
View all 47 comments on this article