Cancer Research UK cuts Race for Life in south Cumbria
Last updated at 13:01, Monday, 10 December 2012
ORGANISERS of Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life in Cartmel have announced the event will not be taking place next year.
The charity has made the decision to reduce the number of smaller Race for Life events across the UK, which includes the event at Cartmel Racecourse which was held for the first time in July of this year.
The changes are being made to help raise more money for research by reducing costs.
Annette Quarry, Cancer Research UK National Event Manager, said: “Race for Life raises money to fund life-saving research. So we owe it to our participants and supporters to ensure that we raise as much money as possible in the most cost-efficient way.
“Although 552 women took part at our event in Cartmel in July, entries were lower than anticipated. Taking the costs of staging the event into consideration, we have had to take the difficult decision not to run it again in 2013.”
“We are very grateful to our participants, and their supporters, who took part in the event for the first time this year and hope they will understand the reason for this difficult decision for 2013.”
In 2013, Race for Life events will be held in Lancashire at Preston on June 16 and Lancaster on July 14.
Race for Life is a women-only series of events which raises millions of pounds every year for life-saving research into all cancers – helping men, women and children. All the money raised goes to fund Cancer Research UK’s crucial work.
First published at 10:29, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The Race for Life used to a great event. As with everything, people have been priced out of it. The entry fees are ridiculous and putting it on in Cartmel was a mile too far in terms of getting there. Also, i have been badgered by Cancer Research UK to give more money. Letters, calls, emails. This is off the back of entering a couple of races. I certainly cannot afford to give more money and i certainly don't like being hounded either.
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid