Junior farmers show prize-winning lambs
Last updated at 12:46, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
ULVERSTON AUCTION MART – TUESDAY 1 JANUARY 2013
New Year Junior Farmers Prize
Lamb Show & Sale
AN excellent entry were forward to our very competent Judge Mr Peter Hutchinson, Greenodd and after much deliberation he expertly placed the awards as follows: 1 Ellen Procter, 2 Eve Procter, 3 Jack Knight.
Highly Commended were awarded to Peter Fell, George Fell, Leah Parker, Owen Airey, Leah Clough, Anya Clough, Zara Clough, Sophie Bradley, Martin Bradley, Libby Knight, Emma Cooper, Craig Cooper, Meg Procter, Amy Wilkinson, Stephen Beck, Laura Beck, Adam Atkinson, James Atkinson.
Prime Lamb trade on the day saw a slight decrease on the week following all national market trends. Top price on the day realised 197.37ppkg for an excellent pen of 38kg Beltex Hoggs exhibited by R & E Beck, Parkhouse being purchased by D Stamper, Preston. Top pounds per head reached £83 for 48kg shapy Texels shown by J J Procter, Adgarley being purchased by Browns Quality Meats Butchers of Lindal.
Other Leading Prices: £81.50(tex) Riddingside; £77(suf) Adgarley; £75(btex) Parkhouse; £75(cha) Low Lodge/East View; £70(btex) Low Flan; £63(black) Newholme; £63(tex) Adgarley; £62(suf) Moor Green; £62(tex) Low Lodge; £62(black) Castle Hill; £69(black) The Stable, Walthwaite; £61(chev) Low Lodge;
Prime Cattle & OTM Cattle
A small show saw trade similar to previous weeks. Topping the market was a well fed 606kg Limousin Heifer reaching 206.50ppkg (£1,251.39) also being the top pounds per head for vendor T H Garnett & Son, New Close being purchased by T Postlethwaite & Co, Urswick.
Other Leading Prices: Limousin Hfr 191.50ppkg Water Blean; Limousin Hfr 196.50ppkg New Close; OTM BB Hfr 179.50ppkg Water Blean.
A very pleasing number forward saw trade staying as it was previously. With more hill bred ewes forward for sale the market had an average of £41.37. Topping the market was a pen of huge Texels reaching £95 for J & G Cooper, Stank being purchased by A Thompson, Burton.
Other Leading Prices: Texels £68 Stank; Suffolks £61 Sheep Parks; Mules £65 Near Old Park; Mules £61.50 Far Old Park;
Swaledales £36.50 Urswick; Cheviots £48 Nibthwaite Grange; Cheviots £46 Nibthwaite Grange; Herdwicks £42 Nibthwaite Grange; Scotch £33 Urswick.
First published at 11:48, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (32 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- ‘Deadly’ pigeon droppings force Millom council closure (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’ (2 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|