Junior farmers show prize-winning lambs
Last updated at 12:46, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
ULVERSTON AUCTION MART – TUESDAY 1 JANUARY 2013
New Year Junior Farmers Prize
Lamb Show & Sale
AN excellent entry were forward to our very competent Judge Mr Peter Hutchinson, Greenodd and after much deliberation he expertly placed the awards as follows: 1 Ellen Procter, 2 Eve Procter, 3 Jack Knight.
Highly Commended were awarded to Peter Fell, George Fell, Leah Parker, Owen Airey, Leah Clough, Anya Clough, Zara Clough, Sophie Bradley, Martin Bradley, Libby Knight, Emma Cooper, Craig Cooper, Meg Procter, Amy Wilkinson, Stephen Beck, Laura Beck, Adam Atkinson, James Atkinson.
Prime Lamb trade on the day saw a slight decrease on the week following all national market trends. Top price on the day realised 197.37ppkg for an excellent pen of 38kg Beltex Hoggs exhibited by R & E Beck, Parkhouse being purchased by D Stamper, Preston. Top pounds per head reached £83 for 48kg shapy Texels shown by J J Procter, Adgarley being purchased by Browns Quality Meats Butchers of Lindal.
Other Leading Prices: £81.50(tex) Riddingside; £77(suf) Adgarley; £75(btex) Parkhouse; £75(cha) Low Lodge/East View; £70(btex) Low Flan; £63(black) Newholme; £63(tex) Adgarley; £62(suf) Moor Green; £62(tex) Low Lodge; £62(black) Castle Hill; £69(black) The Stable, Walthwaite; £61(chev) Low Lodge;
Prime Cattle & OTM Cattle
A small show saw trade similar to previous weeks. Topping the market was a well fed 606kg Limousin Heifer reaching 206.50ppkg (£1,251.39) also being the top pounds per head for vendor T H Garnett & Son, New Close being purchased by T Postlethwaite & Co, Urswick.
Other Leading Prices: Limousin Hfr 191.50ppkg Water Blean; Limousin Hfr 196.50ppkg New Close; OTM BB Hfr 179.50ppkg Water Blean.
A very pleasing number forward saw trade staying as it was previously. With more hill bred ewes forward for sale the market had an average of £41.37. Topping the market was a pen of huge Texels reaching £95 for J & G Cooper, Stank being purchased by A Thompson, Burton.
Other Leading Prices: Texels £68 Stank; Suffolks £61 Sheep Parks; Mules £65 Near Old Park; Mules £61.50 Far Old Park;
Swaledales £36.50 Urswick; Cheviots £48 Nibthwaite Grange; Cheviots £46 Nibthwaite Grange; Herdwicks £42 Nibthwaite Grange; Scotch £33 Urswick.
First published at 11:48, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|