Shell found at Barrow building site not explosive
Last updated at 09:02, Monday, 09 June 2014
A SHELL found by builders in Barrow is not explosive according to the bomb squad.
Leck Construction workers at the TK Maxx store in Hollywood Park made the discovery this afternoon.
The scene had been cordoned off and Barrow Police had been in contact with the bomb squad.
However after examining photos of the shell, believed to date from around the Second World War, experts said it was the "shot" from the end of a bomb.
It will now be stored at Barrow Police Station before being collected by the bomb squad tomorrow
Andrew Murphy, commercial director, at Leck Construction, said: "Whilst carrying out work in preparation for the TK Maxx store, excavating a new lift shaft uncovered a 20in relic bomb.
"Once found Steve Anderton cordoned off the area and called police who were there in minutes."
Mr Murphy said the bomb squad is believed to be on its way to the scene.
First published at 15:56, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This used to be the site of a scrap metal yard. there will be all sorts of junk down there!
Make your comment
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival
- Warning to Cumbria parents and children over suffocating 'Sleeper'
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (18 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (1 comment)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker