Shell found at Barrow building site not explosive
Last updated at 09:02, Monday, 09 June 2014
A SHELL found by builders in Barrow is not explosive according to the bomb squad.
Leck Construction workers at the TK Maxx store in Hollywood Park made the discovery this afternoon.
The scene had been cordoned off and Barrow Police had been in contact with the bomb squad.
However after examining photos of the shell, believed to date from around the Second World War, experts said it was the "shot" from the end of a bomb.
It will now be stored at Barrow Police Station before being collected by the bomb squad tomorrow
Andrew Murphy, commercial director, at Leck Construction, said: "Whilst carrying out work in preparation for the TK Maxx store, excavating a new lift shaft uncovered a 20in relic bomb.
"Once found Steve Anderton cordoned off the area and called police who were there in minutes."
Mr Murphy said the bomb squad is believed to be on its way to the scene.
First published at 15:56, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This used to be the site of a scrap metal yard. there will be all sorts of junk down there!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course