Body recovered from west Cumbria lake identified as missing diver
Last updated at 09:34, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
THE body of a man recovered from Wastwater has been identified as the diver missing since Sunday (27).
The diver has been named by Cumbria police as 39-year-old Carl Morris from Huddersfield, west Yorkshire.
Mr Morris was diving in a group of three in Wastwater on Sunday afternoon but failed to surface after a planned 40 minute dive.
The North West Police Underwater Search Team recovered a body yesterday morning after an extensive search.
Mr Morris' family have been informed and are being supported by police officers.
The underwater search team were deployed last on Sunday night and continued to search until 6.30am on Monday. The search resumed at 11am on Monday but had to be called off at around 3pm.
The other agencies involved in the shore search were stood down at 6.30pm on Sunday due to it being too dark and dangerous to continue in the conditions.
A spokesman from Liverpool Coastguard said they received a phone call at around 3pm reporting a diver missing in the water.
A helicopter from RAF Valley attended the scene, and Cumbria Police, Whitehaven Coastguard and Wasdale Mountain Rescue were also involved in the search.
The alarm was raised by the diver's companion following the dive and emergency services were subsequently alerted.
Stuart Atkinson, duty officer with Liverpool Coastguard, said the search was taking place in an area where communication is difficult.
First published at 16:25, Sunday, 27 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together