Body recovered from west Cumbria lake identified as missing diver
Last updated at 09:34, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
THE body of a man recovered from Wastwater has been identified as the diver missing since Sunday (27).
The diver has been named by Cumbria police as 39-year-old Carl Morris from Huddersfield, west Yorkshire.
Mr Morris was diving in a group of three in Wastwater on Sunday afternoon but failed to surface after a planned 40 minute dive.
The North West Police Underwater Search Team recovered a body yesterday morning after an extensive search.
Mr Morris' family have been informed and are being supported by police officers.
The underwater search team were deployed last on Sunday night and continued to search until 6.30am on Monday. The search resumed at 11am on Monday but had to be called off at around 3pm.
The other agencies involved in the shore search were stood down at 6.30pm on Sunday due to it being too dark and dangerous to continue in the conditions.
A spokesman from Liverpool Coastguard said they received a phone call at around 3pm reporting a diver missing in the water.
A helicopter from RAF Valley attended the scene, and Cumbria Police, Whitehaven Coastguard and Wasdale Mountain Rescue were also involved in the search.
The alarm was raised by the diver's companion following the dive and emergency services were subsequently alerted.
Stuart Atkinson, duty officer with Liverpool Coastguard, said the search was taking place in an area where communication is difficult.
First published at 16:25, Sunday, 27 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|