Body recovered from west Cumbria lake identified as missing diver
Last updated at 09:34, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
THE body of a man recovered from Wastwater has been identified as the diver missing since Sunday (27).
The diver has been named by Cumbria police as 39-year-old Carl Morris from Huddersfield, west Yorkshire.
Mr Morris was diving in a group of three in Wastwater on Sunday afternoon but failed to surface after a planned 40 minute dive.
The North West Police Underwater Search Team recovered a body yesterday morning after an extensive search.
Mr Morris' family have been informed and are being supported by police officers.
The underwater search team were deployed last on Sunday night and continued to search until 6.30am on Monday. The search resumed at 11am on Monday but had to be called off at around 3pm.
The other agencies involved in the shore search were stood down at 6.30pm on Sunday due to it being too dark and dangerous to continue in the conditions.
A spokesman from Liverpool Coastguard said they received a phone call at around 3pm reporting a diver missing in the water.
A helicopter from RAF Valley attended the scene, and Cumbria Police, Whitehaven Coastguard and Wasdale Mountain Rescue were also involved in the search.
The alarm was raised by the diver's companion following the dive and emergency services were subsequently alerted.
Stuart Atkinson, duty officer with Liverpool Coastguard, said the search was taking place in an area where communication is difficult.
First published at 16:25, Sunday, 27 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|