Body found in Walney channel
Last updated at 14:59, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
A BODY has been recovered from Walney channel.
At 7.50am this morning police received a call reporting concern for the welfare of a man, aged in his 60s, from Barrow.
Police, coastguard and fire crews were deployed to assist after a search was launched to find him.
Shortly after 9am, a body of man was located in the Walney Channel in the vicinity of the rear of Kimberly-Clark.
A team of around 12 police officers attended and officers would like to thank the member of public who allowed them to use his own boat during the rescue.
The body has not yet been formally identified however the family who reported concerns for the missing man have been informed and are being supported at this difficult time.
Police are not currently treating the death as suspicious and are working to formally identify the man and inform his immediate family.
First published at 14:32, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|