Body found in Walney channel
Last updated at 14:59, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
A BODY has been recovered from Walney channel.
At 7.50am this morning police received a call reporting concern for the welfare of a man, aged in his 60s, from Barrow.
Police, coastguard and fire crews were deployed to assist after a search was launched to find him.
Shortly after 9am, a body of man was located in the Walney Channel in the vicinity of the rear of Kimberly-Clark.
A team of around 12 police officers attended and officers would like to thank the member of public who allowed them to use his own boat during the rescue.
The body has not yet been formally identified however the family who reported concerns for the missing man have been informed and are being supported at this difficult time.
Police are not currently treating the death as suspicious and are working to formally identify the man and inform his immediate family.
First published at 14:32, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|