ALCOHOL abuse is a massive issue in Barrow and Furness as it is in many parts of the UK.
Whether ending in violence in the street or domestic abuse in the home, it destroys lives.
Today there’s another aspect to this blight on our society which is revealed – what it is costing every individual in the community.
And the figures make shocking reading.
In Barrow alcohol abuse is costing each individual £515.
That’s more than Liverpool, with all the usual issues associated with a big city.
The report looks at how much dealing with alcohol-related issues costs the health services, police and social services.
It also looked into the amount of money lost to the economy through loss of productivity due to drinking.
In Barrow borough, the cost was more than £36m in 2010/11, while in South Lakeland it was £37m (£363 per person) and £25m (£371 per person) in Copeland.
Superintendent Ali Dufty is absolutely right.
We have a culture in the UK where the whole purpose of drinking is to get drunk. That must change.
We need to start to enjoy and appreciate drink, like in other countries. Quality, not quantity, should be the key to that enjoyment.
That way drink can remain at the heart of our celebrations and a vital part of our national heritage, without blighting our society and ruining our lives.
Brave decisions are needed to help us get there.
Published: May 24, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Opportunities on doorstep
- Tell us about litter hotspots
- Holding torch for Olympics
- Staying safe
- Jubilee fever is sweeping nation
- Shock over real cost of drinking
- Huge boost for entire region
- Subs work to lift next generation
- Sparks fly over biomass plant
- Credit is due to hospital heroes
- Clare should inspire us all
- Vulnerable hit hardest by cuts
- Healthy debate looks on agenda
- Home in on the problem
- A community to be proud of
- Bad parents should pay up
- Barrow MP wrong man to chair debate (3 comments)
- It’s time to talk about bus fares
- Tragic time for victim’s family
- Holiday offers time together
- Chance to listen to the borough
- Fight filth on the beaches
- Advice needed in biomass row
- Torch set to put area in spotlight
- Why was addict compensated?
- Barrow NHS trust in vomit virus warning
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
- Barrow Frozen fan to win surprise visit
- Owner of Barrow takeaway speaks of terror after armed robbery
- Barrow family over the moon with surprise litter of pups (3 comments)
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|