DESPITE the recession, good news for the local business community keeps on coming.
After positive announcements for BAE Systems, Glaxo, and a west coast energy college, we had yesterday a royal visit to highlight the innovative industries here in Barrow and Ulverston.
At Forge Europa, after visiting Structural Science Composites in Barrow, Prince Andrew said both businesses were “innovative, interesting and growing businesses”.
Talking to staff at Forge Europa the human impact of what the duke was describing hit home.
Here were people educated and trained in Furness, some of whom may have gone away to study a degree, but who had come back to this area for highly skilled jobs in those growing firms right here where they were brought up.
That’s a tremendous message which we need to get into our schools and colleges. We need to let the young people, thinking about what career to go into, know of the many and varied opportunities right here on their doorstep.
It’s tremendous credit to the likes of Peter and Julie Barton at Forge Europa that they have built such a dynamic business environment.
The products they are developing, whether it is for transport systems or fish tanks, hospitals or offices, are state of the art.
We should be proud of them and congratulate them as they flourish and grow, not least for the opportunities they provide our population.
Published: May 31, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Opportunities on doorstep
- Tell us about litter hotspots
- Holding torch for Olympics
- Staying safe
- Jubilee fever is sweeping nation
- Shock over real cost of drinking
- Huge boost for entire region
- Subs work to lift next generation
- Sparks fly over biomass plant
- Credit is due to hospital heroes
- Clare should inspire us all
- Vulnerable hit hardest by cuts
- Healthy debate looks on agenda
- Home in on the problem
- A community to be proud of
- Bad parents should pay up
- Barrow MP wrong man to chair debate (3 comments)
- It’s time to talk about bus fares
- Tragic time for victim’s family
- Holiday offers time together
- Chance to listen to the borough
- Fight filth on the beaches
- Advice needed in biomass row
- Torch set to put area in spotlight
- Why was addict compensated?
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|