BINS. We all need them; we all use them and woe betide anyone who tries to tamper with the way they are emptied.
The whole subject is a potato so hot that only the bravest of people would ever consider handling it.
But desperate times call for desperate measures, and in the face of yet more funding cuts, Barrow Borough Council is pulling on its heavy duty oven gloves and doing exactly that.
People will complain – and understandably so. For many, especially large families, weekly bin collections are an absolute necessity.
So if the weekly bin collection is to be axed – and it looks as if this could well be the case – there must be plans put in place to cater for those who could literally find themselves in a mess.
Larger bins to compensate for fortnightly collections would have to be considered – as would the cost of buying those in and whether it would negate any saving.
More advice and encouragement on how to recycle and why it is important must also be forthcoming. Do we want bi-weekly bin collections? Not really. But in frugal times we must be realistic.
If the council think this is the best way of saving money for the town without affecting services relied upon by the most vulnerable, so be it.
But they must be prepared to fully justify any decisions they make. The public jury will then decide whether it was the right one.
Published: March 2, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Area played a big role in war
- Back bid to save school
- School closure hits community
- Important to heed warning
- Boost for youth employment
- PM shares in town’s big day
- Time for town to celebrate
- Give support to heart town
- Superfast internet move well overdue
- Chair may be worth money
- Fight on to save buses
- Give gift of life to others
- Tearing up plan would be wrong
- Two deaths at work too many
- Celebrate pride in community
- Barrow’s own Oscar awards
- Graffiti zones are a bold idea
- Reach out to silent victims
- Big chance to show support
- Faith restored in community
- Help needed if bins changed
- Walney run is better than ever
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (5 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|