THE word inspirational is often bandied around as we seek to describe people who, in some way, go a step further than the majority.
It is, perhaps, erroneously used in some instances, but with few, if any, synonyms to take its place, that is perhaps understandable.
Today we feature the sad news that cancer battling mother, Clare Hutchinson, has died. In this instance, the word inspirational doesn’t cut it – for very different reasons.
Here we have a woman who fought off cancer more times than most of us will fight off a bout of the flu.
She tackled the illness head on, despite receiving devastating blow after devastating blow.
It’s true to say Mrs Hutchinson had plenty to live for, not least her doting son and granddaughter.
But she also had a zest for life which puts many of us to shame.
Fuel prices, potholes, unemployment, the cost of a pint; we all have our gripes and in the main, make sure everyone knows about them.
Here was a woman who, in the end, had to accept the cancer had got the better of her.
She knew she would die; that she was living on borrowed time.
Yet she had a smile that would light up a room, a personality that made it impossible not to like her – and she had more grit and determination than many of us put together.
Barrow is much the poorer for the death of Mrs Hutchinson.
But we should all take inspiration from the brave and dignified way in which she dealt with her illness – and remember how lucky we are.
Published: May 18, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Opportunities on doorstep
- Tell us about litter hotspots
- Holding torch for Olympics
- Staying safe
- Jubilee fever is sweeping nation
- Shock over real cost of drinking
- Huge boost for entire region
- Subs work to lift next generation
- Sparks fly over biomass plant
- Credit is due to hospital heroes
- Clare should inspire us all
- Vulnerable hit hardest by cuts
- Healthy debate looks on agenda
- Home in on the problem
- A community to be proud of
- Bad parents should pay up
- Barrow MP wrong man to chair debate (3 comments)
- It’s time to talk about bus fares
- Tragic time for victim’s family
- Holiday offers time together
- Chance to listen to the borough
- Fight filth on the beaches
- Advice needed in biomass row
- Torch set to put area in spotlight
- Why was addict compensated?
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together