Barrow police investigate alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl - update
Last updated at 08:46, Friday, 11 January 2013
POLICE are investigating an alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl in Barrow.
Police said a sexual assault happened on the evening of January 6 close to the top of the subway stairs opposite the main Post Office in Abbey Road.
The incident is said to have occurred between 10pm and 10.30pm. Police said the girl did not sustained any serious physical injuries, but has been left distressed and is being supported by her family.
Police are keen to speak to three possible witnesses to the incident who may have been in the area at the time of the alleged offence.
Officers say these witnesses may hold important information and officers are appealing to a man described as in his 50s or 60s and two other males who are described as being about 16-years-old who were seen in the vicinity of Abbey Road to contact them as soon as possible.
The potential witnesses are asked to call DC Sally Martin at Barrow police station on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
*Police said a 16-year-old local boy was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and interviewed. He was released on police bail to return to Barrow police station on February 21 while detectives continue their enquiries.
First published at 14:19, Thursday, 10 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|