Barrow police investigate alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl - update
Last updated at 08:46, Friday, 11 January 2013
POLICE are investigating an alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl in Barrow.
Police said a sexual assault happened on the evening of January 6 close to the top of the subway stairs opposite the main Post Office in Abbey Road.
The incident is said to have occurred between 10pm and 10.30pm. Police said the girl did not sustained any serious physical injuries, but has been left distressed and is being supported by her family.
Police are keen to speak to three possible witnesses to the incident who may have been in the area at the time of the alleged offence.
Officers say these witnesses may hold important information and officers are appealing to a man described as in his 50s or 60s and two other males who are described as being about 16-years-old who were seen in the vicinity of Abbey Road to contact them as soon as possible.
The potential witnesses are asked to call DC Sally Martin at Barrow police station on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
*Police said a 16-year-old local boy was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and interviewed. He was released on police bail to return to Barrow police station on February 21 while detectives continue their enquiries.
First published at 14:19, Thursday, 10 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|