Barrow police investigate alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl - update
Last updated at 08:46, Friday, 11 January 2013
POLICE are investigating an alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl in Barrow.
Police said a sexual assault happened on the evening of January 6 close to the top of the subway stairs opposite the main Post Office in Abbey Road.
The incident is said to have occurred between 10pm and 10.30pm. Police said the girl did not sustained any serious physical injuries, but has been left distressed and is being supported by her family.
Police are keen to speak to three possible witnesses to the incident who may have been in the area at the time of the alleged offence.
Officers say these witnesses may hold important information and officers are appealing to a man described as in his 50s or 60s and two other males who are described as being about 16-years-old who were seen in the vicinity of Abbey Road to contact them as soon as possible.
The potential witnesses are asked to call DC Sally Martin at Barrow police station on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
*Police said a 16-year-old local boy was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and interviewed. He was released on police bail to return to Barrow police station on February 21 while detectives continue their enquiries.
First published at 14:19, Thursday, 10 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Man named as Windermere murder investigation continues
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- Barrow woman attacked husband after cider-drinking binge
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|