Barrow police detective charged with rape and indecent assault
Last updated at 09:12, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
A BARROW police detective has appeared in court accused of rape and indecent assault.
Nicholas Doherty, 41, of Barrow, appeared at Leamington Spa Magistrates’ Court, in Warwickshire, on Tuesday March 25.
Warwickshire Police had charged Doherty with a rape that allegedly occurred in Stratford upon Avon on February 27, 2012 and an indecent assault which is alleged to have happened in Cumbria in December 1999.
The case was committed to Warwick Crown Court, to sit at Leamington Spa, on July 15.
Doherty was granted conditional bail. He was bailed to an address in Coleraine, Northern Ireland.
The Cumbria police detective was arrested from his home on November 27, 2013 by Warwickshire Police.
Warwickshire police are leading the investigation with support from Cumbria police. The force said that following questioning on arrest, Doherty was released on conditional police bail with strict conditions pending further enquiries by the force.
The charges were made on Monday March 24 and Doherty had been remanded before appearing at the Leamington court on Tuesday March 25.
Cumbria police confirmed that Doherty was suspended from duty when he was arrested in November and that he remains suspended.
Assistant chief constable Michelle Skeer said: “The constabulary expects the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and conduct from all police officers at all times.
“We take any allegations of inappropriate behaviour from any of our officers very seriously to ensure our communities can have trust and confidence in us.
“I can reassure communities that we investigate any reports thoroughly and would encourage anyone with any concerns to contact Cumbria police on 101 and ask the speak to the Professional Standards Department.”
First published at 10:48, Tuesday, 25 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|