Barrow police detective charged with rape and indecent assault
Last updated at 09:12, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
A BARROW police detective has appeared in court accused of rape and indecent assault.
Nicholas Doherty, 41, of Barrow, appeared at Leamington Spa Magistrates’ Court, in Warwickshire, on Tuesday March 25.
Warwickshire Police had charged Doherty with a rape that allegedly occurred in Stratford upon Avon on February 27, 2012 and an indecent assault which is alleged to have happened in Cumbria in December 1999.
The case was committed to Warwick Crown Court, to sit at Leamington Spa, on July 15.
Doherty was granted conditional bail. He was bailed to an address in Coleraine, Northern Ireland.
The Cumbria police detective was arrested from his home on November 27, 2013 by Warwickshire Police.
Warwickshire police are leading the investigation with support from Cumbria police. The force said that following questioning on arrest, Doherty was released on conditional police bail with strict conditions pending further enquiries by the force.
The charges were made on Monday March 24 and Doherty had been remanded before appearing at the Leamington court on Tuesday March 25.
Cumbria police confirmed that Doherty was suspended from duty when he was arrested in November and that he remains suspended.
Assistant chief constable Michelle Skeer said: “The constabulary expects the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and conduct from all police officers at all times.
“We take any allegations of inappropriate behaviour from any of our officers very seriously to ensure our communities can have trust and confidence in us.
“I can reassure communities that we investigate any reports thoroughly and would encourage anyone with any concerns to contact Cumbria police on 101 and ask the speak to the Professional Standards Department.”
First published at 10:48, Tuesday, 25 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together