Barrow nurse to face fitness to practise panel
Last updated at 11:05, Tuesday, 24 June 2014
A Barrow nurse who faces a number of allegations including giving incorrect advice about the paracetamol dosage for a baby is due to appear before a fitness to practise panel today
Melanie Jayne Riley worked as a WellChild children’s nurse in Barrow between November 2009 and February 2011.
She is due to appear at the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s Old Bailey base in London today.
She faces a number of allegations. They relate to dishonestly completing reports knowing the information she was giving about a patient’s condition was inaccurate but intending it to be relied upon, giving incorrect advice about the paracetamol dosage for a baby and the way in which referrals were made.
Although the funding for her post was provided by the charity WellChild, which aims to
support the families of sick children, she was employed by Cumbria NHS Partnership Trust.
WellChild chief executive Colin Dyer said: “All our nurses are funded by the charity but employed by the local health authority who hold responsibility for the recruitment, management and overall governance of the roles.
“While we cannot comment on this hearing, we can say that the nurse in question was employed by the trust as the WellChild Children’s Nurse in Cumbria when we first allocated funding to the trust in 2009.
“In 2011 she was removed from the post. The charity worked closely with the trust to recruit an outstanding replacement who has been filling this crucial role since 2012.”
A statement from the trust said: “The trust has carried out a confidential investigation which has been passed to the NMC. The trust has a policy which is available to all staff regarding the process for escalating concerns about staff.”
First published at 14:13, Monday, 23 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together