Barrow MP to host flooding meeting
Last updated at 14:10, Friday, 14 December 2012
FURNESS MP John Woodcock is today (Friday) hosting a special meeting to assess local flooding problems and co-ordinate action to give people better protection.
Those attending include representatives from local councils, parish councils, the Environment Agency, United Utilities, Cumbria Highways and Cumbria Police.
Mr Woodcock said: "Currently many parts of Furness are a single heavy rainfall away from disaster; while money is tight, we need a clearer understanding if what exactly it would take to reduce the risk of flooding.
"Residents who have been blighted by flooding understand no-one can control the weather, but there can be so much confusion over where try should turn in the event of disaster.
"Agencies have a responsibility to come together to give flood-risk areas clearer guidance and I hope this meeting can prompt movement on that."
The meeting at Ulverston town hall gets underway at 4pm.
First published at 14:09, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
For once Mr Woodcock is proving his worth. Lets hope he can get some actionable answers fro all those departments of government and United Utilities.If only he did more of this (bashing departmental heads together) instead of bashing the 'other lot'...
Make your comment
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Building work at Barrow care home set to restart
- Driver who crashed in Walney sought by police
- Updated: Football fan comes forward to speak to police about Barrow AFC assault claim
- Man, 65, suffers serious injuries in 40m Lake District fall
- Cat charge admitted by Barrow woman
- Water supply cut off in Ulverston
- Cumbria man reunites with Korean Zen master
- Former Barrow children’s doctor accused of failings defends his treatment
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- Barrow AFC boss drops Taylor deal hint
- Barrow Raiders boss holds injury concern
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)