Barrow MP to host flooding meeting
Last updated at 14:10, Friday, 14 December 2012
FURNESS MP John Woodcock is today (Friday) hosting a special meeting to assess local flooding problems and co-ordinate action to give people better protection.
Those attending include representatives from local councils, parish councils, the Environment Agency, United Utilities, Cumbria Highways and Cumbria Police.
Mr Woodcock said: "Currently many parts of Furness are a single heavy rainfall away from disaster; while money is tight, we need a clearer understanding if what exactly it would take to reduce the risk of flooding.
"Residents who have been blighted by flooding understand no-one can control the weather, but there can be so much confusion over where try should turn in the event of disaster.
"Agencies have a responsibility to come together to give flood-risk areas clearer guidance and I hope this meeting can prompt movement on that."
The meeting at Ulverston town hall gets underway at 4pm.
First published at 14:09, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
For once Mr Woodcock is proving his worth. Lets hope he can get some actionable answers fro all those departments of government and United Utilities.If only he did more of this (bashing departmental heads together) instead of bashing the 'other lot'...
Make your comment
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- Witnesses sought after Millom tyre slashing incident
- Charity collection box stolen from South Cumbria garden centre
- Call for legal high crackdown after teens taken ill (2 comments)
- Cumbria fire cuts ‘have decimated service’ (2 comments)
- Furness Enterprise legacy to live on after Barrow council steps in (1 comment)
- New Barrow jetty is ‘too short’ to use at low tide, claims ferryman (12 comments)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Furness Rovers delight in final triumph: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner (1 comment)
- Take a bus trip back to the past