Barrow MP to host flooding meeting
Last updated at 14:10, Friday, 14 December 2012
FURNESS MP John Woodcock is today (Friday) hosting a special meeting to assess local flooding problems and co-ordinate action to give people better protection.
Those attending include representatives from local councils, parish councils, the Environment Agency, United Utilities, Cumbria Highways and Cumbria Police.
Mr Woodcock said: "Currently many parts of Furness are a single heavy rainfall away from disaster; while money is tight, we need a clearer understanding if what exactly it would take to reduce the risk of flooding.
"Residents who have been blighted by flooding understand no-one can control the weather, but there can be so much confusion over where try should turn in the event of disaster.
"Agencies have a responsibility to come together to give flood-risk areas clearer guidance and I hope this meeting can prompt movement on that."
The meeting at Ulverston town hall gets underway at 4pm.
First published at 14:09, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
For once Mr Woodcock is proving his worth. Lets hope he can get some actionable answers fro all those departments of government and United Utilities.If only he did more of this (bashing departmental heads together) instead of bashing the 'other lot'...
Make your comment
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Cash machine blown up in Cumbria raid
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success (4 comments)
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (13 comments)
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton