Barrow MP John Woodcock takes part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
Last updated at 10:33, Friday, 29 August 2014
BARROW and Furness MP John Woodcock took the plunge by performing the Ice Bucket Challenge beneath the watchful gaze of the Spirit of Barrow.
In front of an eager crowd on Wednesday August 27, the Labour representative was doused in freezing water by Mandy Telford, Labour county councillor for South Wainey and Mr Woodcock’s wife, and Alison McGovern, Labour MP for Wirral South and shadow minister for international development.
The Ice Bucket Challenge has quickly become a global phenomenon. Celebrities, politicians and members of the public have filmed themselves performing the task to raise money and awareness for various motor neurone disease charities.
More than £48m has been pledged so far. Mr Woodcock felt the chill afterwards but was proud to be part of a good cause.
After being soaked, Mr Woodcock nominated BAE Maritime – Submarines managing director Tony Johns, Evening Mail managing director Jonathan Lee and Barrow AFC manager Darron Edmonton. Each nominee has 24 hours to complete their challenge.
He said: “It was absolutely freezing. All the videos you see and the people you talk to who have done it already don’t prepare you for just how cold it is.
“It’s raising awareness and the profile of this illness which affects people so quickly and so severely.
“Throwing water at a politician is something that I know a lot of members of the public would like to do for different reasons.
“We can at least go to the ballots next year and say we’ve given the public what they want. But hopefully they won’t start doing it on the doorsteps.”
First published at 12:07, Wednesday, 27 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Barrow AFC boss Darren Edmondson
Evening Mail Managing Director Jonathan Lee
Hairy Biker Dave Myers
George RR Martin
Kermit the Frog
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|