Barrow MP John Woodcock takes part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
Last updated at 10:33, Friday, 29 August 2014
BARROW and Furness MP John Woodcock took the plunge by performing the Ice Bucket Challenge beneath the watchful gaze of the Spirit of Barrow.
In front of an eager crowd on Wednesday August 27, the Labour representative was doused in freezing water by Mandy Telford, Labour county councillor for South Wainey and Mr Woodcock’s wife, and Alison McGovern, Labour MP for Wirral South and shadow minister for international development.
The Ice Bucket Challenge has quickly become a global phenomenon. Celebrities, politicians and members of the public have filmed themselves performing the task to raise money and awareness for various motor neurone disease charities.
More than £48m has been pledged so far. Mr Woodcock felt the chill afterwards but was proud to be part of a good cause.
After being soaked, Mr Woodcock nominated BAE Maritime – Submarines managing director Tony Johns, Evening Mail managing director Jonathan Lee and Barrow AFC manager Darron Edmonton. Each nominee has 24 hours to complete their challenge.
He said: “It was absolutely freezing. All the videos you see and the people you talk to who have done it already don’t prepare you for just how cold it is.
“It’s raising awareness and the profile of this illness which affects people so quickly and so severely.
“Throwing water at a politician is something that I know a lot of members of the public would like to do for different reasons.
“We can at least go to the ballots next year and say we’ve given the public what they want. But hopefully they won’t start doing it on the doorsteps.”
First published at 12:07, Wednesday, 27 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Barrow AFC boss Darren Edmondson
Evening Mail Managing Director Jonathan Lee
Hairy Biker Dave Myers
George RR Martin
Kermit the Frog
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|