Barrow MP John Woodcock takes part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
Last updated at 10:33, Friday, 29 August 2014
BARROW and Furness MP John Woodcock took the plunge by performing the Ice Bucket Challenge beneath the watchful gaze of the Spirit of Barrow.
In front of an eager crowd on Wednesday August 27, the Labour representative was doused in freezing water by Mandy Telford, Labour county councillor for South Wainey and Mr Woodcock’s wife, and Alison McGovern, Labour MP for Wirral South and shadow minister for international development.
The Ice Bucket Challenge has quickly become a global phenomenon. Celebrities, politicians and members of the public have filmed themselves performing the task to raise money and awareness for various motor neurone disease charities.
More than £48m has been pledged so far. Mr Woodcock felt the chill afterwards but was proud to be part of a good cause.
After being soaked, Mr Woodcock nominated BAE Maritime – Submarines managing director Tony Johns, Evening Mail managing director Jonathan Lee and Barrow AFC manager Darron Edmonton. Each nominee has 24 hours to complete their challenge.
He said: “It was absolutely freezing. All the videos you see and the people you talk to who have done it already don’t prepare you for just how cold it is.
“It’s raising awareness and the profile of this illness which affects people so quickly and so severely.
“Throwing water at a politician is something that I know a lot of members of the public would like to do for different reasons.
“We can at least go to the ballots next year and say we’ve given the public what they want. But hopefully they won’t start doing it on the doorsteps.”
First published at 12:07, Wednesday, 27 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Barrow AFC boss Darren Edmondson
Evening Mail Managing Director Jonathan Lee
Hairy Biker Dave Myers
George RR Martin
Kermit the Frog
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together