Barrow boxers put on knockout show
Last updated at 11:58, Friday, 30 November 2012
EIGHT bouts of boxing were served up at the Pat Ryan Dinner at the Ringside, held at The Forum, Barrow.
A full-house of fight fans were able to enjoy an event which saw six fights contain boxers from hosts the Furness Catholic Amateur Boxing Club.
Invited guests included Barrow mayor, Councillor Wendy Maddox, MP John Woodcock and Councillor Tony Callister, chairman of the Barrow Borough Sports Council.
Training at the Lyceum Hall by the Furness team in the build-up for the amateur event had been demanding and it was needed as fighters found competition keen from their adversaries last Friday, November 23.
Boxers fought from schoolboy through to senior level.
Fans of the amateur boxing scene will never forget Pat Ryan, who died last year.
His son Gary said later: “Dad would have been as proud as punch.”
First published at 11:28, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Send us your photos
1. You can use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
2. You can email larger files directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. You can send us photos from your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
The form . . .
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|