Female teacher accused of having sexual relationship with girl
Last updated at 14:52, Wednesday, 04 June 2014
A female teacher has appeared in court accused of having a sexual relationship with a schoolgirl.
Hayley Louise Southwell, 27, is accused of having intentionally touched the girl sexually when in a position of trust.
Carlisle magistrates heard the offence was committed between May 1 last year and January 17 this year.
Prosecutor John Moran told district judge Gerald Chalk that Southwell, of Egremont, was employed as a teacher.
It is alleged that she had been in a sexual relationship with the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, which started when the girl was under 16.
The court heard Southwell could face 18 months imprisonment if found guilty of the offence.
District Judge Chalk declined jurisdiction of the case, and Southwell, who spoke only to confirm her name and address, was committed to appear at Carlisle Crown Court on June 23.
She did not enter a plea to the charge which she faces.
First published at 12:04, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|