Female teacher accused of having sexual relationship with girl
Last updated at 14:52, Wednesday, 04 June 2014
A female teacher has appeared in court accused of having a sexual relationship with a schoolgirl.
Hayley Louise Southwell, 27, is accused of having intentionally touched the girl sexually when in a position of trust.
Carlisle magistrates heard the offence was committed between May 1 last year and January 17 this year.
Prosecutor John Moran told district judge Gerald Chalk that Southwell, of Egremont, was employed as a teacher.
It is alleged that she had been in a sexual relationship with the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, which started when the girl was under 16.
The court heard Southwell could face 18 months imprisonment if found guilty of the offence.
District Judge Chalk declined jurisdiction of the case, and Southwell, who spoke only to confirm her name and address, was committed to appear at Carlisle Crown Court on June 23.
She did not enter a plea to the charge which she faces.
First published at 12:04, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with Oxford win: with picture gallery (10 comments)
- McBanned - Barrow drunk's fast food reprimand (4 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|