Grim economy is hitting trade at Cumbria's hotels
Last updated at 11:11, Monday, 07 May 2012
Sales at Cumbrian hotels fell last year as Britain’s economy continued to stagnate, a report has found.
Seaside venues were worst hit seeing turnover fall by nine per cent, according to the Hotel Benchmarking Review.
The study, by accountants Moore and Smalley, examined the accounting data of more than 50 hotels. It found that turnover dipped on average by five per cent at Cumbrian hotels last year, compared with 2010.
But the businesses studied had managed to slightly increase their profit levels, despite the dip in sales, suggesting they were cutting costs.
Colin Johnson, head of the leisure and tourism team at accountants Moore and Smalley, of Kendal, warned hotels against cutting too deeply.
“Income is hard to come by and room rates are being challenged across the sector,” he said,
“Turnover is down on average and seaside locations have suffered the most with an average drop in turnover of nine per cent on the same period the previous year.
“As turnover has reduced and wages have risen this suggests that hoteliers must have been cutting other costs in order to report an increase in net profit.
“We have seen a reduction in marketing spend but this has to be done with caution.
“Cutting back too much in these areas can lead to reductions in sales for years to come and hoteliers need to ascertain which areas of marketing are not working and concentrate on more effective marketing techniques to find ways of attracting customers.”
Despite the cost cutting, expenditure on staff went up, suggesting hotels were focussing on other areas.
Investment in facilities dropped considerably, the report found.
Hotels in the countryside did better than those at the seaside, probably because they host more weddings, the report said.
First published at 09:12, Monday, 07 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|