Eight men receive more than 24 years in prison for £400,000 fraud against South Cumbria man
Last updated at 15:43, Wednesday, 30 October 2013
EIGHT men have received more 24 years in prison for a £400,000 fraud against South Cumbria man.
In July 2011, Cumbria police were contacted by a victim from Baycliff, near Ulverston who had been made aware that he had paid in the region of £400,000 in bank transfers and cheques to various bank accounts after receiving various demands for payments of fictitious debts from the fraudsters.
The discovery of the fraud was only made after the victim had unwittingly passed one of the false invoices to his accountants as part of his business assessment and the VAT registration number for the company was bogus.
The victim had become entrapped in an advertising scam. He had initially been contacted by telephone asking if he wished to advertise his business in a directory. He was billed for a few hundred pounds, which he expected and paid it willing.
Over the following fifteen months he was subject to further demands the majority of which were intimidating and some threatening for payments from bogus companies via letters, telephone calls and even men purporting to be bailiffs calling at his home address. The fraudsters then specifically targeted people who paid off these fictitious debts.
Eight men were today sentenced at Preston Crown Court, following a lengthy and complex investigation by Cumbria police into offences of fraud and money laundering.
All defendants pleaded guilty to offences.
• Liam Dinsdale, aged 28, Alkinscoats Road, Colne, Lancashire, sentenced to 55 months.
• Rudi Lockett, aged 23, Garnett Street, Barrowfield, Nelson, Lancashire, sentenced to 30 months.
• Robert Brian Chadwick, aged 41, Churchbeck Chase, Radcliff, Manchester, sentenced to 57 months.
• John Rixon aged 34, Stewart Street, East Clayton, Manchester, sentenced 42 months.
• Simon Rixon aged 31, Industrial Street, Liversedge, West Yorkshire, sentenced 40 months.
• Alexandar Hall, aged 25, Loweswater Avenue, Astley, Tyldesley, Manchester sentenced 50 months.
• Khalid Sawadi, aged 31, Alexandra Road, Waterloo, Liverpool, sentenced to 18 months.
The remaining defendant, Alistair Eccles, aged 31, Castle Road, Colne, Lancashire was sentenced to 15 months which was suspended for one year.
First published at 15:37, Wednesday, 30 October 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|