Cumbria's jobless total falls again
Published at 16:43, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Unemployment in Cumbria has fallen again. Figures from the Office for National Statistics show there were 8,675 people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance last month, 35 fewer than in September.
The county’s unemployment rate was unchanged at 2.8 per cent.
It was the third consecutive monthly fall and the seventh fall in eight months. Seasonal factors are partly responsible, such as the creation of temporary jobs in retailing and food processing in the run up to Christmas.
But crucially, the county's total is now lower than it was this time last year.
Within Cumbria, Carlisle saw the steepest fall. Its jobless total tumbled by 51 to 2,089, giving a rate of 3.1 per cent.
In Eden, the total fell by 18 to 403 (1.3 per cent). However, Allerdale’s claimant count climbed by 17 to 1,998 (3.4 per cent) and Copeland’s by three to 1,576 (3.5 per cent).
Nationally, the seasonally-adjusted claimant count increased by 10,100 to 1.58m but the rolling total, which includes people not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance, fell by 49,000 to 2.51m.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|